Advertisement

Transformer fire threatens home in Adamsville; storm shelter opens for community

Published: Nov. 29, 2016 at 12:20 AM CST|Updated: Nov. 29, 2016 at 3:51 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ADAMSVILLE, AL (WBRC) - A transformer blew and caught fire on Monday night in Adamsville causing a power outage.

The transformer is located behind a Texaco gas station off Highway 78 near Main Street.

A home was threatened by the fire but firefighters managed to get it under control before it spread to the home.

Before the fire, strong winds caused a big branch to snap and fall on Tilson Road.

A storm shelter in Adamsville has opened its doors to those seeking refuge from the storms.

Eric Morrison is the Assistant Shelter Supervisor and he says the shelter is equipped wit cots, pillows, blankets and much more.

"Basically we have anything here that you would need we have a generator. We have a refrigerator anyone needs to put baby formula or any type of medicines we can keep those cool," Morrison said.

There are also bathrooms and a generator to keep power.

The shelter will also open back up Tuesday evening at 9. That time is flexible depending on how early the severe weather starts.

Copyright 2016 WBRC. All rights reserved.