PELHAM, AL (WBRC) - The state department of public health is investigating a salmonella outbreak after four people who ate at the Johnny Ray's in Pelham tested positive for salmonella.
Two of the four have matching patterns of a rare Salmonella Enteritidis.
The restaurant was closed by an emergency order on Friday, Jan. 8.
See the following news release from the Alabama Department of Public Health for more information:
"The Alabama Department of Public Health is investigating a foodborne outbreak in Pelham, Ala.
Four individuals who had eaten at Johnny Ray's in Pelham, Alabama (309 Huntley Parkway) tested positive for Salmonella. Two have matching patterns of a rare Salmonella Enteritidis. Other potential cases of Salmonella are being investigated. As of January 8, 2016, the restaurant was closed by emergency order, following visits by the Bureau of Environmental Services on December 15 and 22, and January 6.
Symptoms of salmonellosis include diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, abdominal cramping, and fever and usually occur within 6 and 72 hours after ingestion. Most people recover without treatment.
Dr. Mary G. McIntyre, State Epidemiologist, recommends that people reduce their risk of Salmonella by avoiding raw or undercooked eggs, poultry or other meats, thoroughly washing produce, and following safe food handling practices during food preparation. Hand washing, keeping uncooked food away from cooked food, and using clean plates and utensils are some important ways to minimize food contamination. People should also wash their hands after contact with animals and animal feces.
The investigation is ongoing and final test results will be available at a later date."