Family holds vigil for 1-year-old homicide victim

Published: Oct. 21, 2015 at 2:22 AM CDT|Updated: Nov. 10, 2015 at 7:06 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Source: WBRC video
Source: WBRC video
Source: WBRC video
Source: WBRC video

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - Birmingham police say it was blunt force trauma to the head that killed 1-year-old Kelci Lewis.

She also suffered internal injuries.

Tuesday evening, family and friends gathered to remember her. Her grandmother, Waynetta Callens, says how Kelci had fought through so much to have her life taken away so soon.

"Just remember Kelci the way she was," Callens said. "The precious miracle that was given to us."

Callens says her Kelci Lewis was born premature and spent six weeks on a heart monitor. She fought until she was healthy enough to survive.

"She grew up to this little bitty precious angel and now this," Callens said. "It hurts."

Candles were lit and everyone held balloons to remember Kelci. A child who left quite an impression during her short life.

"How happy she was," Callens said. "How she used to get up in the morning and just be running around the house. Right now, it's so hard. When my daughter would call me in the morning I'm so used to  hearing my grand baby in the background."

On Sunday, Oct. 11, police say her mother found her unresponsive in a home on 2nd Avenue South.

Lt. Sean Edwards says her death was ruled a homicide.

Although police say they interviewed the mother's relatives, Callens says differently.

"They're not talking to her relatives. They're talking to relatives where she was staying temporarily," Callens said.

Callens says right now her focus is trying to stay strong for her daughter and finding a way to deal with the reality of losing her grandchild.

"I'm numb," Callens said. "I just ask the Lord to give me the strength to make it until I can lay my grand baby to rest."

Kelci's funeral is this weekend. Edwards says no one has been charged yet and he's not sure when someone will be charged.

He says the case has been turned over to the district attorney.

Copyright 2015 WBRC. All rights reserved.