Visitors can carry open containers in Birmingham's Uptown District starting September 3
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - Starting Thursday, September 3, patrons in Birmingham's Uptown entertainment district can take their alcoholic drinks outside.
The entertainment district is the pilot location for the open container ordinance. Birmingham city council members have been working on putting the ordinance in place for the past two years.
Council President Johnathan Austin said through the state legislature the city is allowed to have five designated open container areas in the city.
The ordinance states the drink has to be in a clearly marked paper cup with an Uptown label.
Tavares Dozier works at Cantina Laredo and said he's excited to see this happen in his city. On Wednesday, he said employees held a meeting to discuss the way it would work.
"Pretty much prepping. There was just, how to handle some guests that come in with different containers because pretty much it's just going to be, it's going to have Uptown on the cup," said Dozier.
Depending on the success of the Uptown open container district, Austin said he hopes to see this expand to four other entertainment districts.
Check out the full rules of the special entertainment district, courtesy of the BJCC:
- Entertainment District hours will be Thursday and Friday from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from noon to 11 p.m.
- During Entertainment District hours, on-premise consumption of alcoholic beverages will be allowed within the boundaries of the Entertainment District.
- The boundaries of the Entertainment District will be clearly defined with approved signage and markings.
- Any alcoholic beverages consumed in the Entertainment District must be purchased from an Uptown establishment; alcoholic beverages acquired outside the District may not be consumed within the district.
- Alcoholic beverages consumed in the Entertainment District must be served in approved paper cups printed with the Uptown logo.
- Licensed premises within the District must comply with all laws of the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board, including the prohibition against the sale of alcohol to minors.
- Patrons may not carry alcoholic beverages outside the Entertainment District boundaries.
- Alcoholic beverages purchased in the District may not be carried into or consumed in parking areas, motor vehicles or BJCC venues such as Legacy Arena, BJCC Concert Hall, BJCC Exhibition Halls, etc.
Copyright 2015 WBRC. All rights reserved.