The Bitter Socialite: Shepherd’s pie
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - A hearty meal perfect to get you through the rest of winter.
For the filling:
1 lb ground beef or lamb
1 cup onion
1 cup carrots
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup frozen English peas
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh mint, finely chopped
1 teaspoon coarse salt & 1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 red wine
1 package French onion soup mix
2 tablespoons flourpinch of brown sugar
For the potatoes:
1 1/2 – 2 lb potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon creole mustard
1 tablespoon parsley or thyme
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Combine butter, onions, and carrots in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Cook until onions are translucent and carrots are beginning to get tender, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes. Add in herbs, peas, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce. Give it a quick stir.
2. Add all remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine. Bring filling to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Additional flour or broth can be added to adjust the desired consistency. *To avoid lumps, dissolve the flour in the broth by adding one tablespoon at a time and stirring briskly.
3. Remove from heat and spoon filling into a large casserole dish. Use a fork to spread the mashed potatoes over the meat filling creating peaks in the process. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until bubbly and browned. Consider cooking on broil for the last couple of minutes to brown the potatoes adequately.
1. Peel and quarter potatoes. Add to a large pot and cover with one inch of water. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork. About 20 minutes. Drain.
2. Transfer potatoes to a bowl and combine with all remaining ingredients. Use a potato masher or a fork to combine.
Copyright 2023 WBRC. All rights reserved.