Buses catch fire in Anniston
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - The Anniston Fire Department is at the New Flyer bus depot after several commercial buses caught fire Monday morning.
It happened around 9 a.m. Many people say they heard a large explosion.
New Flyer buses released the following statement,
“New Flyer of America Inc. (“New Flyer”) can confirm that there was a vehicle fire at our Anniston, Alabama facility on the morning of Monday, November 7. The facilities were evacuated, local emergency services responded to the scene, and there were no injuries. We are very grateful for the quick response from staff and the Anniston Fire Department.
The fire began on a Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) vehicle and spread to six other buses parked in close proximity. The buses were parked outside of our production facilities and had not gone through final completion or testing. The Anniston facility, which the buses were parked near, sustained minor damage but is still fully operational.”
According to the Anniston Public Information Officer, some of the buses involved were electric buses and contained lithium batteries Oftentimes fires involving lithium batteries can be difficult to put out and may take several days.
Roads surrounding the area remain open. Anniston officials ask commuters to be careful in the area.
Copyright 2022 WBRC. All rights reserved.