Pumpkin Stuffed with Everything Good
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) -
2.5-3lb pumpkin or 4 pie pumpkins
4 slices bacon
4 cups French bread, cut into 1/2 in cubes
1/2 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup green onions
1/2 cup apples, chopped
1/4 lb cheese (white cheddar, Gruyere, Gouda, or combo)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 T fresh thyme
1 t Rosemary
1/2 t ground sage
1 pinch nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown sausage in a skillet over medium high heat. Prepare bacon by frying until brown and crispy.
2. Remove the contents of the pumpkin by carefully removing the top with a sharp knife inserted at a 45 degree angle. Discard the top section and remove the contents by scooping them out with a sturdy spoon. Much in the manner of carving a jack-o-lantern, Season with salt and pepper.
3. Measure out 1/3 cup heavy cream and add the ground sage and pinch of nutmeg. Gently stir to combine. Set aside.
4. Place the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and toss vigorously.
5. Heavily pack the mixture into your seasoned pumpkin and top with heavy cream.
6. Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper. Transfer the pumpkin to the baking sheet and carefully place into the heated oven.7. Cook for 2 hours or until the flesh of the pumpkin is soft and easily pierced with a knife. Check on the progress after the initial 90 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a large platter. Slice and serve.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE WBRC FOX6 NEWS APP
Subscribe to our WBRC newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email.
Copyright 2022 WBRC. All rights reserved.