ADA options for The World Games
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WBRC) - The City of Birmingham received complaints after opening ceremonies for The World Games 2022 that more needed to be done for fans with mobility issues.
Wednesday, the city outlined some changes to its Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) options for The World Games 2022. Free ADA shuttles are available on the Green Line now through July 17.
There will be another bus added to the Green Transit Line for closing ceremony. There’s also a number you can call if you need to be picked up after parking at a venue. That phone number is 404-317-8311.
The City has also set up a line that you can call with other questions. That phone number is 205-829-1037.
Spectators wanting to attend events at venues along the Green Line transit route can access an ADA accessible shuttle. This vehicle will be available to drop off riders at the Hub, located at 22nd Street North and Rev. Abraham Woods Jr. Blvd.
Once at the Hub, those with ADA needs should go to the white tent on Rev. Abraham Woods Blvd and 23rd Street North and ask staff to call for a golf cart to take them to The World Games 2022 venues in the area.
While downtown, The World Games 2022 spectators with ADA needs may catch golf cart rides in following areas:
- 19th Street North at Rev. Abraham Wood Jr. Blvd – Boutwell Auditorium
- 19th Street North at 9th Ave N – The World Games Plaza/CityWalk
- 19th Street North at 10th Ave N – Legacy Arena
- 22nd Street North near 12th Ave N – Protective Stadium
During the July 17 closing ceremony, starting at 5 p.m., those riding the ADA shuttle will be dropped off on the 22nd Street North side of Protective Stadium at the door. Return trip shuttles will run from this location to The World Games East Parking Lot until midnight.
- Instructions on accessing the ADA bus on the Green Line:
- Park and catch the Green Line at The World Games East Parking Lot, located at 5th Avenue South and 33rd Street South. Once at the lot, ask staff to call the ADA minibus shuttle. (Spectators with ADA needs are strongly encouraged to park at The World Games East parking lot.) Call for 404-317-8311 for pick up. For additional information, call 205-829-1037.
- NOTE: All travelers should factor in traffic delays and wait time. Please consider leaving at least an hour early before you need to reach your final destination.
Daily hours of operation for the ADA accessible golf carts are 9 a.m. to midnight. ADA accessible shuttles start at 9 a.m. (Note: The last pick up is 10:30 p.m. Return trips run thru midnight.)
As a reminder, Birmingham On Demand, which serves the downtown region, has two vans that can accommodate wheelchairs.
Visit //twg2022.com/ride for more transit line information, parking options, etc.
Subscribe to our WBRC newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email.
Copyright 2022 WBRC. All rights reserved.