Case in mall shooting that killed 8-year-old boy goes to grand jury

8-year-old Royta Giles
8-year-old Royta Giles(Family of Royta Giles)
Updated: Jul. 7, 2020 at 5:57 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HOOVER, Ala. (WBRC) - The case against the three men accused in the Riverchase Galleria shooting that killed an 8-year-old boy is heading to a grand jury.

19-year-old King Williams, 19-year-old Demetrius Jackson and 22-year-old Montez Coleman all face capital murder charges in the shooting that killed Royta Giles and hurt three others.

Investigators Tuesday testified Coleman fired a shot and Jackson and Williams fired back, hitting the three victims.

None of the men charged were hurt.

Demetrius Jackson
Demetrius Jackson(Jefferson County Jail)
King Gary Williams
King Gary Williams(Hoover Police Department)

Investigators said Coleman was apprehended shortly after the shooting on Friday, July 3, after police were notified of a male with a gun, running through the parking deck of the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

Hoover Police Chief Nick Derzis said Coleman got into a verbal argument with five males on the first floor of the mall. Officers say Coleman then shot at the five males.

Montez Moses Miracle Coleman arrested and charged with capital murder after shooting in...
Montez Moses Miracle Coleman arrested and charged with capital murder after shooting in Riverchase galleria leaves a child dead and three ot(Hoover PD)

Hoover Police say Williams and Jackson returned fire. No one in the argument was hurt. All four victims were innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire.

Chief Nick Derzis said the department was flooded with calls from witnesses who came forward with information.

Derzis had a message for Royta’s family, “The people that took their baby away will have to answer for it in a courtroom.”

“A child died because people chose to settle a verbal argument by firing guns at each other in a crowded mall,” Chief Derzis said.

“Something’s gotta stop, this is literally insanity. Who takes guns to the mall? And you get in an argument and feel comfortable enough when you get mad at someone to pull it out and start shooting? I just hope this whole metro area will come together after this tragedy,” said Derzis.

According to Hoover Police, 8-year-old Royta Giles was pronounced dead shortly after being transported to Children’s Hospital.

8-year-old Royta Giles
8-year-old Royta Giles(mother of Royta Giles)

Also injured in the shooting was an adult male, an adult female and a juvenile female. Each was transported to local a hospital where they were treated and released the same night.

We spoke with a woman who was working at the Galleria when she heard shots.

Copyright 2020 WBRC. All rights reserved.