Elmore County woman shares story after taking husband to hospital for COVID-19

Elmore County woman shares story after taking husband to hospital for COVID-19
Sharon Hauk took to Facebook to share her story after dropping her husband off at the hospital. (Source: Sharon Evans Hauk Facebook)

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WSFA) - COVID-19 has taken an Elmore County couple on an emotional rollercoaster.

They were one of the first confirmed cases in WSFA’s area, and just when they thought things were improving, one was forced into a hospital, and the other was left to deal with the grim reality of the virus.

Sharon Hauk’s emotional Facebook video has been viewed more than 30,000 times and shared more than 650 times.

“I knew that was the policy, but it just broke my heart to have to just walk away and leave him after I’ve been taking care of him for so long,” Hauk said.

4-20 4:30 pm : I’m waiting at the hospital to pick him up. He is so happy to be going home . Thank you all for all of your prayers and well wishes. I wish that I could repay you all. This virus has so many surprises. You never know what you are gonna get! So DONT get it! Stay home and wear a mask when you have to go out. April 16: we still don’t know. The doctors and nurses have been great today. I am so thankful, they are updating me 2 times a day, answering all my questions, and have made Scott much more comfortable. I am having success getting some of his lab numbers. Hopefully he is well enough to go home soon even if we don’t have a diagnosis. If he can have his bed, pillow, and dogs, I know he will feel better. April 15: he is still in the hospital. We still don’t have a diagnosis, but today I was able to speak with his Dr. and he did his best to explain the situation. Scott has had numerous CT scans, MRIs, and a lumbar puncture. He has severe continuous headache, fever spikes, low WBC and low platelets. Thanks again for all of your prayers, well wishes, and support.

Posted by Sharon Evans Hauk on Sunday, April 12, 2020

She made the recording just moments after leaving her husband at the hospital for COVID-19. The two had already spent 14 days quarantined at their home. When time was up, her husband still couldn’t shake the symptoms. He had headaches, shortness of breath, a cough, and a fever.

“With this disease you don’t know what will hit you next," Hauk said. “Neither one of us had medical advice. I’ve been taking care of him, he’s been taking care of me, we’ve been alone in isolation, just like everybody else.”

Hauk insisted her husband go to the hospital as his symptoms worsened. Since they’d already been tested, she called ahead, only to hear from a nurse that the symptoms were not COVID-19 related. She says the suggestion then was to go to another hospital.

“We pulled out of the parking lot and he said take me back home," Hauk said. "I said no. I don’t want to worry, I need someone to tell us it’s okay for him to be home or is there something else we could be doing.”

Hauk drove her husband to Montgomery, where he checked into Jackson Hospital.

“I just want everyone to take it seriously," Hauk said. "I know how hard it is when you leave your loved one without anyone to advocate for him or be there. They are at the mercy of the doctors. I’m sure they are great doctors. I’m more pessimistic than others. I just want ya’ll to take it seriously.”

If you want to hear more from Sharon Hauk on why she took her story to Facebook, watch her interview below:

Copyright 2020 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.