Mother of man killed in Galleria shooting overcome with emotion at community event
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - April Pipkins, the mother of Emantic Fitzgerald Bradford, Jr., fainted Tuesday night during a speech about the shooting death of her son at the Riverchase Galleria.
Family and clergymen spoke at the 16th Street Baptist Church calling for peace and understanding during a “Prayer and Justice Community Meeting” for Emantic Fitzgerald Bradford, Jr. Songs of praise and worship filled the historic church.
Pastors prayed that God would calm the angry and strengthen the fearful. Folks there say they came to be peaceful, show love to the family of EJ Bradford, and channel their anger in a constructive manner.
Kevin Miles with the NAACP says he didn’t want to animate people with the spirit of anger but with the spirit of courageousness.
“Silence in the time of gross injustice is deeply immoral. This is a time for moral clarity,” says Miles.
Benard Simelton, President of the Alabama State Conference of the NAACP demanded changes when it comes to how law enforcement handles similar situations.
“That is wrong in Birmingham, Alabama, that is wrong is Dallas, Texas, that is wrong in Chicago, Illinois, and that is wrong in America,” says Simelton.
Emantic Bradford, Sr. recalled fond memories he had with his son, those memories now bringing laughter and tears.
“But it’s to the point where I can’t hear him say “daddy” no more. He would never walk through my door and call my name again,” says Bradford.
The family will hold the funeral Saturday morning at Boutwell Auditorium.
- Family of 18-year-old Galleria shooting victim releases statement
- Hoover City Council meets to discuss possible Galleria shooting lawsuit
- Protesters for Hoover shooting march down Highway 31, end up at Galleria
- Hoover mayor shares statement regarding fatal officer-involved shooting
- 12-year-old injured in Galleria shooting released from hospital
- City of Hoover, police promise transparency in investigation of fatal officer-involved shooting at Riverchase Galleria
- Attorney for Emantic Bradford’s family holds press conference; police say he likely did not fire rounds, gunman remains at large
Copyright 2018 WBRC. All rights reserved.