BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - Could the Crimson Tide and the Tigers actually play for a national championship? The likelihood is not high but I have a formula that you might find interesting.
- Auburn beats Alabama in the Iron Bowl
- Auburn beats Georgia in the SEC Championship
- Auburn gets into the College Football Playoff as SEC Champion
- Alabama gets an invitation as well due to their 11-1 record (only loss being Auburn)
- Both the Tide and Tigers win their semifinal games
- Iron Bowl Championship - voilà!
While the computers may like Alabama and Auburn, the committee might not be in favor of an all SEC National Championship game (well not again). So if it were to happen that both teams make the College Football Playoff, they would likely meet in the semifinals, rather than risk the finals showdown. But who would complain about a second Iron Bowl?