Editorial: Cellphone danger

Editorial: Cellphone danger

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - The following is an editorial from WBRC FOX6 News General Manager Collin Gaston, which first aired on Wednesday, August 2, 2017:

The story about 14-year-old Madison Coe, reported by our sister station KCBD in Lubbock, Texas, who was killed when electrocuted while using her cellphone in the bathtub, hit close to home with me. I have two teens who are literally inseparable from their phones. While I don't think they ever have, I wouldn't be at all surprised if either one of them at some point used a charging cellphone while taking a bath.

I applaud the love and courage of Madison's family, who opened their home and hearts to KCBD by telling the story of her life and the details of her unfortunate death.

We extend our deepest condolences to the family for their loss.

Madison's family believes this terrible accident is something that could happen to anyone.

Now their mission is to make sure it doesn't happen again.

After hearing Madison's story, many of us said to ourselves or our spouse, "But for the grace of God that could have been one of mine?"

That's why I sat down with my children, one of whom is near Madison Coe's age, to talk with them about the dangers of water and electricity.

Take a few minutes to talk with your children about cellphone safety.

Explain to them that waterproof does not mean water safe.

Chargers and electric cords must be kept away from sinks, baths, showers and pools. Plugged in phones should never be used around water.

When used properly, a cellphone is a safe device, but, remember, when it's not used properly around water, it can take a life.

Please, have this safety talk with your kids today.

If you would like to respond to this editorial, email editorials@wbrc.com, write to:

P.O. Box 6
Birmingham, Alabama 35201

Or call (205) 583-4328.

Your comments may be used on WBRC or on WBRC.com

Copyright 2017 WBRC. All rights reserved.