IRS scam victim speaks out

IRS scam victim speaks out

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - A lot of you have called us in the last couple days complaining about would-be scammers calling you claiming to be from the IRS and threatening to sue if you don't pay.

Some of these IRS imposters threaten to call the police if you don't tell them your Social Security number.

Willard Wallace said he got the scam phone call and he did all the right things but the scammer kept calling back.

The IRS imposter first left Wallace a voicemail recording demanding him to call the IRS back and talk to Officer Ryan Smith.

When Wallace called back, "He asked me who I was. I told him I wanted to talk to Officer Ryan Smith. He said well he is in a conference right now and asked me who I was, I said, 'I am Willard Wallace.'"

Wallace says the person on the other end of the phone asked for his Social Security number.

"I said well I am not going to tell you my Social Security number. If you have my tax fraud papers you have my Social Security number," Wallace explained.

When Wallace refused to give him his Social Security number and demanded to talk to Officer Smith, the imposter hung up but called back the next day asking for the same thing.

He never let Wallace talk to Officer Smith and when Wallace still refused to give his Social Security number.

"He said that he would have me arrested. I said, 'Well have me arrested then.' He asked me was I at home now? And I said, 'Yes I am here now,' and he said, 'Well I will send them now,'" Wallace said.

The police never showed up.

The IRS says the following list are things that they will never do:

  • Call to demand immediate payment over the phone, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill.
  • Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
  • Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
  • Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer.
  • Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.

Copyright 2016 WBRC. All rights reserved.