Here's what you saw on Good Day Alabama:
JEH JEH LIVE - Jeh Jeh joined us live from Elite Fitness & Body where he talked with owner Brad Bearden. Elite Fitness & Body is located at 2341 John Hawkins Parkway in Hoover. For more information, call 205-552-5780 or visit www.bhampersonaltraining.com.
ASK THE GARDENER - Sandra Reaves of Josie Gladys Gardens and Fred Spicer, Executive Director of the Birmingham Botanical Gardens, took questions from viewers about their gardening needs. For more information from Sandra, visit her Facebook page - it includes lots of pictures, tips, how-to videos, and info on veggie trials going on in the garden. It's a "real time, real life" look at home gardening and food preservation. You can find her at www.Facebook.com/JosieGladysGardens. For more information from Fred, call 205-414-3950 or visit www.bbgardens.org.
MARIA MENOUNOS' BOOK - Maria Menounos learned her way around the kitchen by watching and cooking with her mother, Litsa, a professional cook. Inspired by her beloved Greek family, her hectic schedule and the need to take control over her diet to lose 40 pounds—"The Everygirl's Guide to Cooking" is packed with beautiful color photos and features more than 150 delicious and easy-to-prepare recipes for the busy EveryGirl looking to eat well every day of the week. As Maria says: "No experience? No time? No problem. Let's get cooking!" Maria is often asked what she eats and what she cooks. She provides the answer in this cookbook: recipes with few ingredients that are so simple, easy and fast, you'll have no excuse not to make them including:
• Breakfast: Strawberry Shortcake French Toast, Quinoa and Honey Yogurt Parfait, Sweet Potato and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito
• Lunch: Three-Bean Power Salad, Kale and Lemon Oil Pizza, Turkey-Cranberry Flatbread Wrap
• Dinner: Melted Baked Ziti with Charred Cauliflower, Double-Cheese-Stuffed Artichokes, Spinach and Walnut-Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
• Entertaining: Sloppy BBQ Buns with Cabbage Coleslaw, Summertime Watermelon-Feta Salad, Greek Cheese & Spinach Pies
• Protein Snacks: Spicy Avocado Toasts, Chickpea Poppers, Apple-Almond Bar
• Desserts: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Toasted Pecans, Anytime Oatmeal Fruit Crumble, Greek Yogurt Strawberry Sundae}
YELP EVENT - Yelp is a great way to find great local businesses. People use Yelp to search for everything from the city's tastiest burger to the most renowned cardiologist. See what you can uncover in your neighborhood at www.yelp.com or on the Yelp App. Will Borland is the Yelp Community Manager for Birmingham. He joined us this morning to teach us a bit more about Yelp and to invite us to an upcoming event! Yelp's Fire and Ice is this Thursday at the Alys Stephens Center. It will be a free party, with a suggested donation of $10 going towards the ASC's Artplay programs. It features great food tastings, beer pairings, live entertainment, and an all around good time for a great cause. It runs from 6-9pm. Everyone with a profile can even bring a guest! There will be live music and giveaways all night long. To get into the party, you must have or create a Yelp Profile - real name & photo are a must for Yelpers. All guests must be 21+. You must RSVP and receive a confirmation from Yelp. To bring a guest, you must include their full name and email in the question field.
BBB - Planning to rent an apartment or condo this spring? If you are looking on Craigslist, watch out for rental cons. A new report from New York University explores just how common these scams are. Spoiler alert: they are everywhere. Researchers reviewed more than two million for rent posts and found 29,000 fake listings in 20 major cities. Of those, there were three key types of scams. In the first, a fake post instructs a would-be tenant to purchase a credit report. The scammer gets a commission from the credit reporting site, even though there is no property for rent. In another scheme, con artists duplicate rental listings from other sites and post on Craigslist at a lower price. Prospective renters pay a deposit via wire transfer. Another pervasive scam is "realtor service" companies. Targets are asked to pay fees to access listings of pre-foreclosure rentals or rent-to-own properties. In the majority of cases, the companies leading the scams have no connection to the properties listed.
How to Spot a Rental Scam:
- Don't wire money or use a prepaid debit card: You should never pay a security deposit or first month's rent by prepaid debit card or wire transfer. These payments are the same as sending cash - once you send it, you have no way to get it back.
- Watch out for deals that sound too good: Scammers lure in targets by promising low rents, great amenities and other perks. If the price seems much better than offered elsewhere, it may be a scam.
- See the property in person: Don't send money to someone you've never met for an apartment you haven't seen. If you can't visit an apartment or house yourself, ask someone you trust to go and confirm that it is what was advertised.
- Don't fall for the overseas landlord story: Scammers often claim to be out of the country and instruct targets to send money overseas.
- Search for the same ad in other cities: Search for the listing online. If you find the same ad listed in other cities, that's a huge red flag.
For more helpful hints, visit www.bbb.org.
Tomorrow on Good Day Alabama, learn how to invest like a millionaire and increase your own wealth! Entertaining family and friends this Easter weekend? We show you some great ideas! New music and movies hit store shelves this weekend and we check out your new options for entertainment! Join us for this and much more tomorrow on Good Day!