Here's what you saw on Good Day Alabama on June 15, 2015:
JEH JEH LIVE
- Jeh Jeh joined us live from Lakeshore Foundation with help from Carol Kutik on Exercise Monday. Many people experience low back pain. Check with your doctor to be sure you do not have a serious injury - if not, your pain may be alleviated with some stretching and strengthening exercises. Carol taught Jeh Jeh to do a move called child's pose. From all fours, let your hips move back toward your heels, with our legs wide. Starting with your forehead rested on your hands, and as you get more comfortable with the pose, extend your arms forward. And then rest there. From child's pose, move to all fours. Pulling your abdominals in and aligning your head with your spine, hands below your shoulders and knees below your hips. Now for some gentle flexibility of the spine, round your back, shifting your gaze toward your belly button, and then draw your tailbone in and gaze up to create a small arch in your back - this is called cat and cow stretch. From all fours, extend your right leg forward and drop the leg back to the mat. Then your left leg. Next add an extension of the left arm with your right leg and vice versa on the opposite side. Hold each pose for several breaths. This exercise is a great core strengthener and also a balance exercise. Back extensions are a popular exercise and often performed in a way that can be hurtful. Using the ball, do a gentle back extension exercise. Positioning the ball under your abdomen, lift slowly into extension being careful not to overextend or what we call hyperextension. You only need to come up to a neutral spine position to get the benefits of this movement. Extending past neutral can be dangerous, especially if you have disc issues. For more information, call 205-313-7400.
- As a Navy SEAL, Brandon Webb rose to the top of the world's most elite sniper corps, experiencing years of punishing training and combat missions from the Persian Gulf to Afghanistan. Among the best of the best, he led the SEALs' clandestine sniper training program as course manager after September 11, as the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were heating up, instructing a new generation of the world's top snipers. Along the way Webb served beside, trained, and supported men he came to know not just as fellow warriors, but as friends. AMONG HEROES: A U.S. Navy SEAL's True Story of Friendship, Heroism, and the Ultimate Sacrifice shares his personal accounts of eight of these extraordinary SEALs—and friends—who gave all for their comrades—and their country. Brandon Webb offers a poignant tribute to the remarkable valor and abiding humanity of those "sheep dogs" as they call themselves who protect us from the wolves of the world. AMONG HEROES profiles eight brilliant and adventurous men and true patriots who thrived in some of the toughest combat training ever created; who fought in a constantly changing warfare landscape, with often unseen enemies; and who put their country first, paying the ultimate sacrifice. This touching memorial to these brave men give powerfully instructive examples of what it means to be alive—and what it truly means to be a hero.
- As you dream of summer fun, BBB is reminding consumers of vacation scams that can turn a dream vacation into a nightmare. Whether it is by phone, email, or in an ad posted online, vacation rental scams come in all shapes and sizes. Often, scammers will lure in victims with images from real properties to make their scams appear legitimate. Vacation seekers searching for a rental in a desirable destination are tempted by the attractive rental that appears to be renting at a very low price. After contacting the "owner", victims are told to put a "deposit" down on the rental. Typically, it is requested that the deposit be sent via wire transfer. When the vacationer arrives at the property, they find that it either does not exist, that the condition has been misrepresented, or that it was never available for rent in the first place. Efforts to get the deposit back usually fail. BBB has 5 tips for avoiding vacation scams:
1. Don't believe everything that you see. The site may have the logo or design of a legitimate hotel or booking site, but that can be easily copied from the real website. When searching for a trustworthy vacation rental, be sure to visit legitimate websites that are well-known. Check out the company on
to see what others are saying.
2. Get everything in writing. Before providing any form of payment, get everything in writing. Make sure all verbal agreements are also provided in writing. Review all terms and conditions, taxes and fees, and cancellation policies.
3. Don't pay upfront. Never pay upfront, or with a wire transfer or prepaid debit card for any vacation package or rental. Use a credit card or PayPal in case the charges need to be disputed.
4. Verify reservations. Follow-up directly with the airline, rental car company, hotel and/or cruise line to confirm arrangements have actually been made to your specifications. Unfortunately, in some situations, victims of travel scams have discovered that reservations were never made and were provided fake confirmation numbers.
5. Watch for too-good-to-be-true deals. Be sure to comparison shop and be suspicious of a site that has prices significantly lower than those listed elsewhere.
For more information, visit
Celebrated six-time Grammy Award®-nominated singer and songwriter Tamia - whose inspired crossovers have ranged from R&B and neo soul, to gospel, jazz and hip-hop over her extraordinary career - has been exclusively signed to Def Jam Recordings, and releases her highly anticipated first album for the label LOVELIFE this month. Tamia's brand new single "Sandwich And A Soda" impacts at Urban AC radio today, simultaneously released at iTunes and all digital partners. "Sandwich And A Soda" is the first advance track from the LOVELIFE album.
LOVELIFE is the long-awaited follow-up to Tamia's Beautiful Surprise of 2012, which garnered two Grammy® nominations. The album's title track became her 10th career Top 20 R&B chart hit. LOVELIFE will feature collaborations with an impressive list of hitmakers including some of the industry's most notable producers; Pop & Oak, The Dream, Tricky Stewart. A modern day woman and matriarch, Tamia balances her artistry and career with being a supportive wife to husband and NBA Hall of Famer, Grant Hill and a loving mother to her two daughters. For more informtation, visit
ASK THE GARDENER
- Alabama Cooperative Extension Agent Sallie Lee took questions from viewers about their gardening needs. You can reach her at the Extension office with your questions at (205) 879-6964 ext 11.
Tomorrow on Good Day Alabama,