Here's what you saw on Good Day Alabama for March 2, 2015:
EXERCISE MONDAY - Jeh Jeh worked out on this Exercise Monday! He joined us with Curtis Starks at EVO Be Fit located at 2006 2nd Avenue North. Evo is a Boot camp style workout center with it's own personal training program. This morning they focused on abs! Curtis and Jeh Jeh showed us non traditional ways to work the ab's by developing a strong core first and then some shredding exercises to get you the results you want. He showed us how to do an elbow plank, push-up plank with row, standing anti-rotation plank, front plank with alternate arm & leg lift, and suspension system mountain climber. For more information, call 205- 583-3000 log on to evobefit.com.
DR. ASA - Mike talked with Dr. Asa Andrew - known as America's Health Coach, MD®. He is also a national best-selling author, radio and TV host, and founder of Diagnosis HOPE, a non-profit dedicated to health education and supporting the uninsured. He has dedicated his life to helping others thrive in their health. Today he discussed six reasons to start exercising.
1. It adds 3.5-4.5 years to your life span - Exercising just 150 minutes per week will add years to your life and life to your years.
2. Reduces Alzheimer's Risk - 44 Million suffer with the disease. Regular execise increases memory by increasing oxygen to the hippocampus area of the brain - the memory center
3. Radiant Skin - Increases blood flow to the skin and reduces the signs of aging.
4. Boosts Your Mood - Increases endorphins which helps with an overall sense of well-being and can ward off depression.
5. Reduces Cancer - American Cancer Society mentioned that just getting our bodies moving daily can help reduce our chances of the two most prevalent cancers today in men and women, prostate and breast.
6. Eliminate Food Cravings - Suppresses ghrelin, which is the hormone in the brain that makes you crave the excess sweet and salty. Take a walk instead of the bag of chips!
For more information, visit http://www.drasa.com/. You can follow him on Twitter - @drasa.
SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK - Cornerstone Schools of Alabama's ever growing Schoolhouse Rock event is back for another year of fundraising! Barber Companies, C.S. Beatty Construction, and Strickland Trading, Inc., are the presenting sponsors for this year's event set for Friday, March 6th at Iron City Birmingham from 7:00 pm-11:00 pm. Schoolhouse Rock is an annual fundraiser hosted by Cornerstone School's Junior Board and has quickly become one the school's most successful events. Junior Board President, Brooks Corr says, “Schoolhouse Rock has succeeded year after year because the Birmingham community believes in the Cornerstone mission. Lives are being transformed every day at the school.” Over the years, the event has grown from 300 guests to over 700 and raises $200,000 for Cornerstone's students each year. Cornerstone Schools of Alabama is a non-profit Christian school dedicated to serving Birmingham's inner city kids. This year the school achieved its long time goal of opening a high school and now serves a record-breaking 420 students in grades K4-12. Event-goers can look forward to a night of live music by the Billy Gant Band, a live and silent auction, beverages, hors d'oeuvres, and fun event giveaways. Tickets to Schoolhouse Rock are $35 per person and can be purchased online at www.csalabama.org or at the door for $40 on the night of the event. For information about Schoolhouse Rock, please contact India Bailey at 205-769-0035 or email@example.com.
ASK THE GARDENER - Jimmy Rockett from Bug Juice Gardens joined us to take viewer questions about their gardens. For more information, call 205-981-1151, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.jimmyrockett.com.
Tomorrow on Good Day Alabama, find out how you can get free financial help on anything from straightening out your finances to finding money for your kids for college! March is upon us and spring is just around the corner! What you should have on your to-do list for your garden this month to make sure it is beautiful this spring and summer! We check out some great new books, movies, and music headed your way this week! And UAB's latest class taught through puppets? We check out Avenue Q! Join us for this and much more tomorrow on Good Day Alabama!