5-year-old boy from Marshall Co. dies after spider bite - WBRC FOX6 News - Birmingham, AL

5-year-old boy from Marshall Co. dies after spider bite

The five year old died after being bitten by a spider. (Source: WAFF) The five year old died after being bitten by a spider. (Source: WAFF)
MARSHALL COUNTY, AL (WAFF) -

Branson Riley Carlisle, a five-year-old in Marshall County, was laid to rest Wednesday afternoon after he died from a spider bite. Carlisle, of Albertville, died just a few days ago at a hospital after being bitten by a brown recluse spider.

While some people are allergic to bee stings, others are allergic to spider bites. Although doctors said you probably would never know you're allergic because people rarely come in contact with spiders.

Dr. Alan Kitchens is an ER doctor at Marshall Medical Center South. He said they see people complaining of spider bites from time to time but most times that is not what is diagnosed.

He said unless you see the spider bite you, you may be unaware it has happened until you begin to see a legion on your skin. That's when he said you need to seek medical attention.

Most of the time, it can be treated and heal. It is when people wait or do not seek medical attention that symptoms can worsen.

"Any type of reaction, perhaps passing out, dizziness,  heart palpitations, or difficulty breathing, you need to seek medical help much quicker." said Dr. Kitchens.

Dr. Kitchens said it is unlikely to know if you would have such a serious reaction to a spider bite but said getting early medical attention is key.

Copyright 2014 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly