Where were you when the
You may have been stuck on one of the roads and highways that froze over. You may have carried your children home through the cold, or camped out at work, in a stranger's homes, or where ever you could find shelter.
Will we see it again this year? The FOX6 Stormwarn Team is On Your Side with some answers tonight and ways to prepare, just in case.
Tips to winterize your home
Alabama Power offers a free energy check up for single family homes. A technician will come to your house, inspect your home and suggest options to save money while heating or cooling your home. Call 1-800-245-2244 to set up an appointment and get more information.
There are also some actions you can take:
1. Keep your thermostat on 68 degrees heat.
2. Make sure you have proper insulation.
3. Open curtains and blinds on sunny days to let natural heat inside.
4. Close your curtains and blinds during the night.
5. Keep your garage doors closed.
6. Close your fireplace damper when not in use.
7. Use ceiling fans (clockwise in winter).
8. Have your HVAC serviced each year.
9. Don't use space heaters to heat large areas because they are inefficient, which means a higher power bill for you!