Here is what you saw on Good Day Alabama for April 1, 2014:
AMERICAN IDOL - The American Idol top 9 contestants performed last week for your votes. They each performed a song with the band. Majesty Rose from Goldsboro, North Carolina, ended up with the lowest votes and is headed home. Mike and Sarh talked with her about the American Idol experience.. For more on this season of American Idol, visit http://www.americanidol.com/.
BETH K - Panel Changes Guidelines on When to Treat High Blood Pressure with Medications: new guidelines on when to treat high blood pressure with medications just came out from the expert panel (the Joint National Committee). UAB Nutritionist Dr. Beth Kitchin says the big points here:
• The panel (Eighth Joint National Committee) did not change the definition of high blood pressure - it is still 140-159/90-99 mm Hg.
• What they did change is when to treat people without chronic kidney disease or diabetes with medications for their high blood pressure
• However, for people 60 and older, the guideline was to treat with medications at blood pressures of 140/90 and higher (stage 1 high blood pressure)
• For people under 60, the panel recommends medications at 140/90 and above (stage 1 high blood pressure)
• For people with diabetes or kidney disease, treatment with meds should begin at 140/90 mm Hg
• They are not saying that higher blood pressure is okay - and still recommend lowering blood pressure with diet and exercise
• They stressed that the higher the blood pressure, the greater the risk for stroke, heart disease and heart attack
Lowering Blood Pressure without Medications:
• Eat foods high in potassium (fruits, vegetables, yogurt, milk)
• Choose Lower Sodium Foods (shoot for below 3000 mg a day and compare foods)
• Lose Weight (small weight losses can really lower your blood pressure - older people should not lose too much weight and should only lose weight if truly over weight)
• Try the DASH diet (There is a great downloadable booklet on the DASH diet - it's a big long URL so go to my blog (uab.edu/shp/nutritiontrends) or myfoxal.com to get the link!)
• Consider Fish Oil Supplements. (a new meta-analysis - a study of studies - just came out that showed that fish oil may help lower blood pressure particularly in people with high blood pressure. Fatty fish is preferred - some studies show that supplements may increase the risk of prostate cancer but it's all shaky! Talk to your doc before supplementing with fish oil supplements!)
JEH JEH LIVE - The Greater Birmingham Association of Home Builders (GBAHB) will host its 2014 Parade of Homes this weekend, April 5-6, and next weekend, April 12-13, throughout the metropolitan area. The Parade is a great way for home buyers and dreamers alike to sample firsthand the latest construction techniques and new home trends. And, with new home sales on the rise, the Parade provides an opportunity for builders to put their best foot forward as they connect with prospective home buyers. A featured attraction of the 2014 Parade of Homes will be the third annual GBAHB "Ideal Home," a showcase house displaying the latest in home design, décor, technology and sustainability. The 2014 Ideal Home is located in the Glasscott community of Ross Bridge at 4245 Glasscott Crossings, Hoover, Ala. 35226. Among the 75 new homes highlighted on the 2014 Parade, 20 villages also will be featured across the greater Birmingham area. Parade villages are new home communities with at least one home entered in the Parade. These villages offer a special opportunity to learn about the features and amenities of the communities in which Parade homes are located.
GARDENING - Sandra Reaves joined us to discuss your spring garden! She showed us how to take a sweet potato cutting and told us how much money she saved last year with her garden. She also reminded everyone to wait on planting their tomatoes in case of frost! For more information, visit her Facebook page - it includes lots of pictures, tips, how to videos, and info on veggie trials going on in the garden. It's a "real time, real life" look at home gardening and food preservation. You can find her at www.Facebook.com/JosieGladysGardens.
NEW IN BOOKS - Susan Swagler writes about about books at her "Turn the Page" blog and in Birmingham Magazine. She introduces us to books with the theme "Life Is a Journey." Let these informative, interesting and inspiring books take you where you want to go. She introduced us to
Southern Wonder: Alabama's Surprising Biodiversity by R. Scott Duncan
All I Have in This World by Michael Parker
Leaving China by James McMullan
Frank Stitt's Southern Table by Frank Stitt
Tomorrow on Good Day Alabama, how you can enjoy at night of music, food, children's activities, a stage performance and more at the Curtain Call Ball all to benefit the Birmingham Children's Theatre. A local man takes his love of baseball to the extreme and he joins us with his adventures! Mickey takes us to visit with his friends at the Birmingham Zoo! Questions about Osteoarthritis? The expert joins us to answer your questions! Join us for this and much more tomorrow on Good Day Alabama.