On Your Side: What to do if you're still waiting on W-2 forms - WBRC FOX6 News - Birmingham, AL

On Your Side: What to do if you're still waiting on W-2 forms

Source: MGN Online Source: MGN Online

A number of employees who work for the City of Birmingham say they are still waiting to get their W-2 forms. In general, the IRS begins processing complaints about W-2 forms after February 15.

According to IRS rules and regulations "if you fail to provide correct payee statements (forms w-2) to your employees and cannot show reasonable cause, you may be subject to a penalty."

Birmingham City spokesperson April Odom tells reporter Ronda Robinson the forms went out on Friday, Feb. 14 so employees should get them soon. She recommends that employees should speak to their department supervisor if they do not receive their W-2 forms soon.

If you do not work for the City of Birmingham and you are still waiting for your W-2, you can file a complaint by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or log on to the website at www.irs.gov.

Click here to read the answers to commonly asked questions about missing W-2 forms.

Click here to read more about penalities if an employer fails to furnish correct payee statements on page 13. This link opens as a PDF. Note: this document talks about W-2 forms for 2014, so when it uses the deadline Feb. 2, 2015, just back that up a year for the 2013 W-2s.

Related: Getting a substitute W-2 form

Copyright 2014 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly