Here is what you saw on Good Day Alabama for January 13, 2014:
CLARE LIVE - FOX's hit show "So You Think You Can Dance" prepares for season 11! The first round of auditions kicks off today in Atlanta and Clare took us there live! She learned some dance moves, talked with dancers, and got advice from the show producers! For more information on the show and auditions, visit http://www.fox.com/dance/.
JEH JEH LIVE - Jeh Jeh joined us with Exercise Monday at More than Conquerors Faith Church for the Biggest Conqueror Class. Its a free day of Exercise for all who want to come by the Bethesda Family Life Center and get information on their exercise goals for the year with several different instructors, from Zumba, to African Dance Aerobics to boot camp classes. For more information, call (205) 322-2644 or visit http://www.mtcfc.org/.
VET SPECIALIST - Dr. Jerome Williams with Red Mountain Animal Clinic joined us along with Dr. Ingrid Straeter-Knowlen. She is a Veterinary Cardiologist. She joined us to explain concerns and symptoms you should look for in your pets when it comes to their heart health. To contact Dr. Straeter at (205) 967-9134 or visit http://www.petcardiologist.com./. To contact Dr. Williams visit redmountainanimalclinic.com.
BBB - New Year's Resolution: Lose Weight Not Money - It's one resolution that most people say they will keep on New Year's Eve. We'll leave that up for discussion later! If you're pledging to lose some pounds this year by joining a gym or health spa, BBB recommends asking questions before signing on the dotted line. Five questions to ask the gym/health spa:
1. What are the terms of any introductory offers? Gyms often use special introductory offers to lure in new members. Just make sure you understand the terms and what the price will be once the introductory period is over. Take the contract home before you sign it.
2. Will my membership renew automatically? Many times people who joined a gym didn't realize that their contract would renew automatically and that they would have to take specific steps to cancel their contract. Any additional terms agreed upon between the health spa and the member must be written into the contract, and if the contract is financed, the additional finance charges should be explained to the consumer.
3. How can I get out of my contract? Getting out of a gym contract isn't always as easy as getting into one, so make sure you understand what steps you would need to take to cancel your membership. The health spa should provide a written acknowledgment of the notice of cancellation.
4. What happens if I move? Gyms have any number of different policies when it comes to how moving will affect your membership. It might depend on how far away you're moving and if they have other locations nearby.
5. What happens if you go out of business? Ask the gym to explain what will happen to your money if they suddenly go out of business.
For more information, visit bbb.org.
TOSCA RENO - New York Times best-selling author, Tosca Reno's Eat-Clean Diet series has sold more than 2 million copies worldwide. But before that - before she became a bikini-model at age 50, and an internationally known nutritionist, weight loss specialist and fitness expert - Tosca was more than seventy pounds overweight. Her body transformation didn't happen overnight, though. She began with simple changes that eventually added up to extraordinary weight loss. THE START HERE DIET presents the gentle yet effective strategy that worked for her and that will help countless other chronically - and significantly - overweight people do the same. In her new book, Tosca shares the three easy-to-follow steps that helped her get her life back on track:
· Step 1: Dive Inward. Identify the emotional triggers for your over-eating, and the underlying reason why you really want to shed the pounds.
· Step 2: Uncover Your Hidden Foods (the things that you think you can't live without - what you eat mindlessly and often). Tosca's hidden foods were cheese, chocolate and peanut butter. They are sabotaging your best efforts to lose weight and keep it off.
· Step 3: Move a Little! Remember, you're just starting out, so the plan doesn't tell you to join a gym or start lengthy daily workouts. Instead, Tosca offers a list of fifty basic movements to strengthen, tone and improve your health - movements that you can fit into the rhythm of your busy life.
· Her Start Here "essentials" which include shopping and cooking tips, meal plans, and thirty delicious recipes.
Tosca Reno is an internationally known Canadian nutritionist, weight-loss specialist, fitness trainer, motivational speaker, and bestselling author. Her Eat-Clean Diet book series has sold more than two million copies. She tours 250 days out of every year, speaks approximately ten times per month all across North America, and appears at book and health events, bookstore signings, and school events several times a year. Tosca Reno lives in Toronto.
THE LONGEST DATE - The award-winning writer of Sex and the City and Modern Family discussed her new memoir, The Longest Date. Cindy Chupack has won three Golden Globes and an Emmy for her work as a writer/executive producer of HBO's Sex and the City. Her credits also include Modern Family, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Coach, among others. Now, in her new memoir The Longest Date, she opens up about her own life, chronicling the comedic and cringe-worthy ups and downs of matrimony. Chupack recounts her first marriage (he was gay) and meeting Ian, Husband #2-from their courtship and marriage proposal (on horseback) to negotiation over everyday matters like cooking, sex, holidays, and monogamy, as well as their struggles with fertility. A FOX TV pilot is already in the works to create a comedy based on the book, with Chupack writing and executive producing alongside New Girl executive producer Jake Kasdan. Cindy Chupack has won three Golden Globes and an Emmy for her work as a writer/executive producer of HBO's Sex and the City. Her writing credits also include Modern Family, Everybody Loves Raymond, Coach, and a bunch of series only her parents would watch.
ASK THE GARDENER - Alabama Cooperative Extension Agent Sallie Lee took questions from viewers about their gardening needs. You can reach her at the Extension office with your questions at (205) 879-6964 ext 11.
Tomorrow on Good Day Alabama, lawmakers head back to the state capitol for the new legislative session. We talk with some of those lawmakers. Surrounded by crumbling marriages, high divorce rates, and Millennials who text instead of date, how can we hope for lasting, loving relationships? New scientific evidence proves that humans are meant to mate for life and the other of the new book "Love Sense: The Revolutionary New Science of Romantic Relationships" joins us to explain! Stewart Welch offers his best financial tips for 2014 in Money Tuesday. Jimmy Rockett joins us with advice for your garden! And we check out what's new in entertainment...new movies and music on store shelves this week! Join us for this and much more tomorrow on Good Day Alabama!