One taken to hospital in apparent Hanover warehouse explosion - WBRC FOX6 News - Birmingham, AL

One taken to hospital in apparent Hanover warehouse explosion

© @HanoverFireEMS1 © @HanoverFireEMS1

A worker is recovering after an apparent explosion at a Hanover warehouse Wednesday.

Hanover Fire crews were called to the scene on South Jefferson Highway near Sliding Hill Road about 4:00 a.m.

Construction company F. Richard Wilton Junior operates out of the building. A representative with the company took to its Facebook page saying workers are praying for one of their long time employees. Within minutes the post was removed but it confirmed an apparent explosion at the location.

Trucks with the company's name were found trapped in the debris.  The building is now condemned and investigators can't go inside because it isn't considered safe.

"It's too bad someone got hurt. He must have been the first one in because evidently it happened early in the morning," said Scott Hess, who works across the street from where it all happened.

Investigators say at this point they do not believe anything suspicious occurred. They say the company is cooperating with them, even bringing in an engineer to rehab the building so the fire marshal can get to work.

"It caused us a little bit of congestion with this morning with the fire trucks and the police," Hess said.

Fire crews will be back at the scene Thursday as they try to figure out exactly what happened.

"An explosion is not something we go on everyday," said Battalion Chief Jason Williams.

He says the debris scattered across the premises gives indication of a possible explosion but they will take their time before making that call.

"This type of process takes a lot of time. It's very tedious and we try to be very meticulous about investigating an event like this," he said.

In the Facebook post that's since been removed, the company stated the name of its employee, but workers there are asking for privacy and now prayers for their long standing worker.

"I just hope the fellow who got hurt does well and recovers," Hess added.

Fire crews were able to get the fire under control within 15 minutes and make sure it did not spread to any of the other nearby businesses.

Copyright 2013 WWBT NBC12.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly