Community rallies around family of missing Autaugaville fisherma - WBRC FOX6 News - Birmingham, AL

Community rallies around family of missing Autaugaville fisherman


Those close to David Taylor say all they have left is hope and prayer.

Many of his loved ones gathered on Fulton Road Monday night for a candlelight vigil as the search for Taylor moves into its second week and as they continue to wait for answers.

The crowd sang and prayed together during the vigil, offering words of strength for Taylor, his family and those who have relentlessly searched the waters for him.

"That's number one- whether he is dead or alive, bringing him back to give the family closure. That's the main thing I want. I'm hoping that everybody out here will stand together and pray that that really will happen. Prayer changes things and that's what we really need today," said Brenda Davis, Taylor's cousin.

The 43-year-old went fishing more than a week ago and hasn't been seen since. The search began after his wife reported him missing.

While his canoe, boots, and fishing gear have been recovered from the 17-acre lake off of Fulton Road, search and rescue crews are still looking Taylor.

Nearly 20 agencies have been involved in the effort, combing the water and monitoring the perimeter.

"We need to fill the void we've got. We're really empty and we need some kind of answer. We pray that they will stay and help us to locate him and help get him out of there," said Gregory Davis, Taylor's cousin.

Autauga County officials say they do not suspect any foul play in the incident and Taylor's relatives say all of the evidence points to an accidental drowning.

"There aren't any signs of a struggle," Gregory Davis told WSFA.

But the longer the search goes on, the more questions and concerns Taylor's family members are left with.

"We're really lost. We don't know what to think- whether he's in the water or something happened to him or what. I mean, it's been a week and a day now and no body," said Taylor's sister, Chris Tyus. "My brother was well known and loved in the community. We're just praying for some closure."

The search for Taylor has been halted each evening as the sun has gone down, but it has picked up again the next morning.

Search and rescue crews have been hindered by thick vegetation under the water and zero visibility.

Family members tell WSFA that authorities plan to pump water out of the lake into a nearby creek to bring the lake's water level down and help aid in the search.

Helicopters and canine search units will also be brought back out to the site.

Copyright 2013 WSFA 12 News.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly