Here is what you saw on Good Day Alabama for October 21, 2013:
JEH JEH LIVE- Jeh Jeh was live this morning from the Lakeshore Foundation with help from Carol Kutik for exercise monday. For more information on the Lakeshore Foundation call (205) 313-7400.
INTERIOR DESIGN- Are you ready for Halloween and Fall? Interior Design expert and Virginia College Professor Perry Umphrey joined us this morning with fall decorating ideas.
Perry is a state registered and NCIDQ certified interior designer. He is owner of Umphrey Interiors and is an adjunct instructor at Virginia College. For more information, visit www.umphreyinteriors.com.
THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU- The Better Business Bureau reported a sharp rise in online retailer complaints. David Smitherman with the Better Business Bureau joined us this morning with five pieces of advice. The long lines last weekend for the newest iPhone showed that consumers are still willing to wait for the latest and greatest electronic device. However, many prefer to skip the line and jump online to find good discounts on electronics and other items. But before you do, Better Business Bureau http://www.bbb.org/ is warning online shoppers to beware of questionable advertisements and phony websites.
BBB advises consumers to also look out for the following when planning to do business with an online retailer:
1) Advertised prices are much lower than retail. Everyone is looking for a bargain on electronics and scammers use tantalizingly low prices to lure victims in. If the prices for items are well below those of trusted competitors, be prepared to walk away.
2) Spelling and grammar. Many phony electronics websites are created by scammers overseas and you can spot them because they usually contain spelling and grammar mistakes.
3) Payment via wire transfer only. Scammers often ask victims to wire payments because the money cannot be easily tracked or retrieved in the case of fraud. BBB recommends always using a credit card to pay for electronics online. If the website turns out to be fraudulent, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company.
4) Lack of information. Always try to find a seller's physical address, not just a P.O. Box and phone number. Research the company's name and website for additional information. Check bbb.org for detailed information about the company including owner information and history of complaints.
5) Fraudulent security seals. When shopping online, you want to look for the seals of trusted organizations and confirm that the business's use of the seal is legitimate. You can typically do this by clicking on the seal which, if legitimate, will link you to a confirmation page on the certifying organization's site. For BBB Accredited Businesses using the dynamic seal on their website, the clickable link will direct the consumer back to the company's BBB Business Review.
CAR REPORT- Fox News', Gary Gastelu tested out the new Ford Fiesta S-T this morning. Ford's got a new little pony in its stable and it was born to party. The Fiesta St is the company's first ever hot subcompact hatchback for the United States, a sporty five door that's like a mustang for milennials, appealing to entry-level car enthusiasts with the promise of economy, style and cheap speed, just within a slightly different accent. The entire Fiesta Lineup was refreshed for 2014 and the $22,195 ST gets all the updates, plus a few of its own.
GARDEN Q&A- Bethany O'rear, extention agent with the Alabama Cooperative Extension System joined us this morning to answer your gardening questions.
STUDENT GRADES & HORIZON SCHOOL- Students should be bringing home report cards soon...so how did they do and how can you help them do better? Dr. Jade Carter, Director with the Horizons School joined us this morning with some pointers on how you can help your students with their study skills
Tomorrow on Good Day Alabama Jeh Jeh will be live at AAA off 1-459 for a preview of the annual Car Care Clinic. Cornerstone Schools of Alabama is getting ready for their 10th Annual Harvest of Hope fundraiser and Executive Director Dr. Nita Carr will be here with all the details. Also, should you move your I-R-A to your 401-K? Stewart Welch will join us with some advice. Join us for all this and more tomorrow on Good Day Alabama.