FBI interviews Boston bombing suspects' mother - WBRC FOX6 News - Birmingham, AL

AP: Suspect admitted to role in bombing before being Mirandized

Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, the mother of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, is followed by reporters Tuesday. (Source: CNN) Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, the mother of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, is followed by reporters Tuesday. (Source: CNN)
The site of the Boston Marathon bombings on Boylston Street reopened Wednesday. (Source: WHDH/CNN) The site of the Boston Marathon bombings on Boylston Street reopened Wednesday. (Source: WHDH/CNN)
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, is the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing April 15. (Source: CNN/Dan Lampariello/Twitter) Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, is the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing April 15. (Source: CNN/Dan Lampariello/Twitter)

(RNN) – The living suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing acknowledged his role in the attacks before being advised of his Miranda rights, according to the Associated Press.

It's not clear whether those statements made by Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will be admissible at trial.

Meanwhile, U.S. investigators traveled to Russia Wednesday to meet with the parents of the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

The Associated Press reported the FBI would talk to Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, the mother of Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, in Makhachkala, the capital of the Dagestan province. A U.S. Embassy official told the AP "the investigation is ongoing; it's not over."

Zubeidat Tsarnaeva has remained steadfast in the belief her sons were not responsible for the attack that killed three people and injured more than 280 on April 15.

"I know that my kids have nothing to do with this," she said in a Reuters interview Tuesday. "I know it. I am [their] mother. I know my kids. Really, they would never get involved into anything like that."

The mother told CNN she thought her sons had been singled out only because they were Muslims.

In addition to the news of her son's death and suspicion in a terror attack, she has been followed by reporters for several days. She sounded extremely upset, alternating between yelling and sobbing, while saying if they killed Dzhokhar, "I don't care."

"My oldest son is killed, so I don't care," she said in a telephone interview with CNN. "I don't care if my youngest son is going to be killed today. I want the world to hear this. And, I don't care if I am going to get killed, too. And I will say 'Allahu Akbar.' That's what I am going to say."

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed Friday in a shootout with police officers only hours after the FBI released images that appeared to be him at the marathon and identified him as a suspect. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was injured in the getaway attempt and captured.

From his hospital bed, the younger brother has identified Tamerlan as the ringleader of the attack, according to multiple news outlets. Officials reported early information indicates the two acted alone and were not part of a terrorist organization.

Family: ‘Misha' brainwashed Tamerlan Tsarnaev

On Wednesday, Tsarnaeva told ABC News Tamerlan Tsarnaev's friend, who has only been identified as "Misha," had not radicalized him. That accusation came from the brothers' uncle, Ruslan Tsarni.

Tsarni told the AP he had conversations with Tamerlan's father about concerns of Misha's influence, who became his friend around 2009. He said he believed the friend turned his nephew on to radical Islamic beliefs, causing Tamerlan give up his Olympic boxing aspirations and music studies.

"The seed for changing his views was planted right there in Cambridge, [MA]," Tsarni said.

Elmirza Khozhugov, the ex-husband of one of Tamerlan's sisters, also spoke with the AP. He said he was at the family's home one evening when Misha spoke with Tamerlan about Islam for hours.

"It was late, like midnight," Khozhugov said. "His father comes in and says, 'Why is Misha here so late and still in our house?' He asked it politely. Tamerlan was so much into the conversation he didn't listen."

Misha has not been identified, was only described as a man of Armenian descent with a red beard who was an Islam convert.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev's widow, Katherine Russell, said through an attorney she had no prior knowledge of any plot and is assisting the FBI with its investigation.

Marathon finish line reopens

Traffic began to flow down Boylston Street past the site of the blasts Wednesday for the first time since the attack took place.

Nearby businesses already reopened Tuesday, although some affected by the bombs remained boarded up. The AP reported the Copley subway station, closed since April 15, is active again as well, and the Boston Public Library planned to reopen its doors.

The task force, which included FBI, Massachusetts State Police and members of Boston and other area police departments, closed off the area shortly after the bombings. The entire city of Boston and other nearby towns were placed on full shutdowns Friday as the search went on for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

MIT police officer Sean Collier, 27, was killed late Thursday as the brothers attempted a getaway. Collier was shot to death while in his police cruiser on campus in Cambridge.

Thousands of staff members and students from the school joined law enforcement officials from around the country Wednesday in honoring the fallen officer. Vice President Joe Biden spoke at the memorial service.

"Mom, Dad and Joe ... my heart goes out to you. I hope you find solace in this moment of extreme grief, looking around this field and listening to what is being said and written in response by the people of this country and around the world about your son," Biden said. "I want to thank not only Sean's family for their willingness to support their brother, their son taking on this work. But all of your husbands and wives, fathers and mothers and children. We owe you such more than just honoring you on days of grief and celebration."

Biden even spoke about what he expects of next year's marathon.

"Let me tell you this, even though I'm not a Bostonian, I am absolutely certain that next year's Boston Marathon will be bigger, more spectacular attended by more people in the history of the United States of America. because that's who you are," he said.

April 15

Two explosions happened within seconds of each other near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, held annually on Patriots Day. Authorities said the bombs were housed inside pressure cookers and contained nails and metal ball bearings.

Martin Richard, an 8-year-old boy, stood with his family at the end of the race when the explosives ignited. He was killed, and his mother and 6-year-old sister lost their legs as a result.

Krystle Campbell, a restaurant manager from Medford, MA, also died and was laid to rest Monday. The 29-year-old's family initially received word she survived but would likely lose a leg; they later found out the hospital mistook the friend she attended the race with for her after finding something with Campbell's name on it.

Lu Lingzi, 23, a Chinese national attending Boston University in pursuit of her Master's degree, was killed. Her father, Lu Jin, described her at her memorial service as the family's Shirley Temple, who brought "everybody in the family ceaseless laughter, lightheartedness and fun."

NPR reported 48 of the people injured remained hospitalized Wednesday, and two were listed in critical condition.

Law enforcement used video and photos taken from the site to identify the Tsarnaev brothers as suspects. Police found them Thursday, hours after the FBI released images of the two from the day of the marathon.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was found hiding in a Cambridge neighborhood Friday and taken into police custody. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in serious condition with gunshot wounds to his neck, head, legs and hand. 

He has reportedly been answering investigators' questions by writing and nodding his head. His condition was upgraded to fair Tuesday, and he remained under care at the hospital Wednesday.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev appeared before a federal judge from his hospital bed Monday. He has been charged with use of a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property resulting in death.

He could face the death penalty if found guilty of the crimes. Additional state and federal charges could be forthcoming.

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino announced the creation of the One Fund, formed to help the people most affected by the events. It was initially launched with a $1 million donation from Boston-based financial services firm John Hancock and had raised more than $21 million by Wednesday.

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly