CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Some of you might already be using it and others may still be on the old look and feel. You need to know that Facebook is planning to roll Timeline out to everyone. Are you really ready for it?
What about posts you did a year or longer ago? Do you remember those? Studies show that recruiters, prospective mates, and others research you online and judge what they see. Are you putting your best face forward on Facebook?
WBTV's cyber expert, Theresa Payton, gives you some tips to protect yourself:
Before timeline, those posts were always there but they weren't as easy to find. On the current Facebook format, you have to go to the bottom of the screen, hit older posts, wait for the older posts to queue up, and repeat again and again to go back in time. Not now! Just go to timeline and choose the point in time and presto! It's there.
5 Tips to clean up your image:
1. Go to your privacy settings, and change the settings for "Who can see posts by others on your timeline" and "Who can post on your timeline" to "Friends".
2. While in the privacy settings page, you can change the settings for "Maximum Timeline Visibility" to "Friends".
3. Change "Limit the Audience for Past Posts" to "Friends"
4. Don't forget you may have posted things on someone else's wall that needs to be reviewed. Check your "Activity Log" to see any posts you made on someone else's wall. If you see something that needs to be removed, delete it.
5. Search through all your old posts to see if there any you should "delete" or "hide"
Just remember, digital is forever AND when Facebook makes a change, they usually default all privacy settings to wide open.
WORD OF THE WEEK:
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.