Freshman bit by snake during P.E.class - WBRC FOX6 News - Birmingham, AL

Freshman bit by snake during P.E.class

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) -

A freshman student at Huffman High School was taken to the hospital Tuesday after reportedly being bitten by a snake.

The student was bitten by the snake on the back of his calf around 1:15 p.m. while in a physical education class, according to Michaelle Chapman, spokesperson for Birmingham City Schools.

Paramedics responded to the school to treat the student. He was taken to the hospital as a precaution. The snake that bit the student is not believed to be poisonous.

Outdoor P.E. activities were canceled for the remainder of the day. Officials searched the field, which is near a creek, but did not find a snake. They plan to search the field again later in the day, Chapman said.

Copyright 2011 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly