Jann and Franklin's Fabulous grilled cheese sandwiches
8 slices Big Sky or other great whole wheat bread
1 stick butter, softened
2 TB mayonnaise
1 recipe Jann's pimento cheese spread (see recipe below)
4 oz sliced good swiss or white cheddar cheese
8 slices bacon, cooked (optional)
1/2 stick butter
Mix softened butter with mayonnaise
Make sandwiches with your choice of cheese (and bacon, if desired)
melt some of the stick of butter in a preheated cast iron pan
spread one side of sandwich with butter mixture
Place sandwich, spread side down, in melted butter when just sizzling
Spread top of sandwich with butter mixture.
Turn when brown and beautiful like Jann.
Grill other side
Cut into halves or quarters and serve with chips! (We like Zapp's)
Eat and feel good!!
Pimento Cheese Spread-yields 2 cups
* 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
* 4 ounces freshly chopped roasted red peppers or 1 (4 ounce) jar chopped pimentos, drained
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise, or more if needed
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Stir together the Cheddar cheese, pimentos, and garlic powder. Stir in the mayonnaise a little at a time, until the spread reaches your desired consistency. Refrigerate for 2 hours to let the flavor develop.
GDA Cooking - March 8, 2011