Smoked Sausage with Greens and Black Eyed Peas
Get all your good luck and money for the coming year in one easy to make dish! You can do the traditional routine and serve this with cornbread muffins. Our new twist includes serving this over rice or couscous.
• 1 pound smoked sausage
• 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 package of fresh raw Collard Greens cleaned and chopped into ribbons
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
• 4 cloves of garlic
• 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
• 4 bay leaves
• 3 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
• 10 cups chicken stock divided
• 1 pound black-eyed peas
• 1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
• 1 box plain couscous prepared according to package
In a large pot, over medium heat, render the sausage for 5 minutes.
Stir in the onions, salt, cayenne, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and parsley. Saute for 5 minutes, or until the onions are wilted.
Stir in the chicken stock, peas, greens and garlic. Bring the liquid up to a boil and then reduced to a simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours, or until the peas and greens are tender.
Spoon the mixture over freshly cooked couscous,rice or pasta if desired. Garnish with green onions.
From Bruno's/Food World
Copyright WBRC 2011. All rights reserved.