New Orleans Shrimp and Grits Pie
1 1/4 cups quick-cooking grits
• 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning ( you can use any mix of cayenne, oregano, garlic, black or white pepper if you don't have something on hand labeled "Cajun"
• ½ teaspoon dry mustard
• 1 1/4 cups shredded extra-sharp white cheddar cheese (again, any cheese will do, you can get great results with different types of cheese. Just make sure it is real cheese not processed)
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 1 small onion , coarsely chopped or 3 green onions chopped
• Two 8-ounce packages white mushrooms, sliced
• 1 cup Shrimp peeled and deveined *you can do chopped Ham or Smoked Sausage in place or in addition to the Shrimp.***
• 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes with Italian Seasoning (If you have leftover marinara sauce use it. You cant go wrong with whatever you use, I promise!)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease a deep 10-inch pie pan. In a saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Stir in the grits, 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning ½ teaspoon dry mustard and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cover, lower the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cooked, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup cheddar, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt to taste. Pour into the prepared pie pan; spread evenly.
2. In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add the Shrimp, tomato sauce and remaining 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
3. Pour the shrimp and mushroom mixture over the grits. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar and bake until heated through and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
GDA Cooking - December 2, 2010