Hearty Beef Stew
Serves 4-6 Prep 10 minutes Cook 2.5 hours
- Best Yet brand Vegetable oil for searing
- Flour for dredging
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Best Yet unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, cut into sixths
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups cold water, or 3 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/4 pounds medium red potatoes, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 7 canned whole, peeled tomatoes, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Heat a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Pour in enough oil to fill the pan about 1/4-inch deep. Spread flour out on a plate or piece of wax paper. Season half the beef generously with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour. Shake off the excess flour, and add to the pan. Saute the meat, uncovered, stirring only occasionally, until well-browned, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef. Discard the oil and wipe out the pan.
- Return the pot to the stove and melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute more. Return the beef to the pot and add the water or broth, and bring to a simmer. Add bay leaves and thyme to pot. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and pepper to taste. Cover and continue to cook on low until the meat is tender, about 1 and a half hrs.
- Skim the fat from the cooking liquid with a ladle. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, and the tomatoes, and bring to a simmer. Stew, uncovered, on top of the stove, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened and the beef and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide among bowls and serve immediately.