¼ pound butter unsalted
½ cup bacon, cooked, diced
½ cup yellow onion, small dice
3/4 cup celery, small dice
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups clam juice
2 cups chopped clam, canned not drained
1 cup diced potatoes, canned not drained
2 cups heavy cream
3 teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon white pepper, ground
1. In heavy set bottom soup pot, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add cooked bacon, diced onion, and celery and cook until translucent and tender.
3. Add flour. Mix thoroughly and cook without burning for approximately 10 minutes until roux is pale yellow and has a nutty flavor.
4. Add clam juice, stirring and chopped clams, stirring. Simmer 20 minutes.
5. Add potatoes. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring until thickened. Season with kosher salt and white pepper. Add heavy cream, stirring constantly. Simmer 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning, if needed.