Chunky Texas Style Slow Cooker Chili
Serves 6-8 Prep 10 Cook 7 hrs
- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 4.5-ounce cans chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup chili powder
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 to 2 tablespoons green hot sauce
- Sliced green onions, fresh cilantro and sour cream for topping
- Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
- 3 cans Red Kidney Beans drained and washed
- Toss the beef with 1 tablespoon each brown sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in batches until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes (do not crowd the pan). Transfer to a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion to the skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chiles, cumin and chili powder and cook 3 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water and the tomatoes and simmer, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low, for 6 hours. Add Beans to slow cooker and continue to cook for one hour.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and the hot sauce to the chili. Serve with green onions and top with a sour cream if desired.