Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
Serves 4 cook time 1 hour
- 4 pounds Sanderson Farms Split Chicken Breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Best Yet brand all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Best Yet brand canola oil
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup Best Yet brand frozen corn
- 2 (14-ounce) cans Best Yet Brand chicken broth
- 1 cup Bisquick brand baking mix
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/3 cup milk
1. Season Chicken Breasts with salt and pepper, to taste. Coat the pieces with the flour, shaking off any excess and place aside. Reserve the leftover flour.
2. Put the oil into a heavy bottomed skillet and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown it on all sides, about 5 minutes per side.
3. Remove the chicken to a plate and add the carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, and corn. Sprinkle with the reserved flour, and give it a good stir. Add chicken broth and stir.
4. Replace the chicken pieces back into the pan with the vegetables and add enough water to just cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Just before the cooking time is up combine the baking mix, poultry seasoning, and milk in a small bowl. Drop the batter by tablespoons on top of the simmering chicken leaving some room between the dumplings. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve hot.