Family says car exhaust killed relatives - WBRC FOX6 News - Birmingham, AL

Family says car exhaust killed relatives

HUEYTOWN, AL (WBRC) -

By Sherea Harris

HUEYTOWN, AL (WBRC) - Authorities say the Ezell family died from carbon monoxide poisoning at their home in Hueytown.

Family members say a car left running in the basement garage caused the deadly, odorless gas to leak inside the home. No one Sunday had heard from the Ezells. That night, a relative went to check on them and discovered the bodies of Karen, Greg, and their 17-year-old daughter, Malorie Ezell.

Malorie was a senior at Hueytown High School. Friends decorated her parking spot at the school. They wrote loving messages to her in chalk.

"The police found the ignition on, the gas tank empty. That's a fact," said  Shirley Barron, Greg Ezell's aunt. "Her car was parked right by where the vents were for the house so it went straight up the vents."

Pam Blair, another relative, says, "They were very magnetic people. They drew people in. You wanted to be around them, always something fun going on."

Both Greg and Karen Ezell leave behind a son from previous marriages. The viewing for the family is Thursday at 5pm.

The funerals are 11am Friday at the First United Methodist Church in Hueytown.

Copyright 2010 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly