Officials ask homeowners to beware of carbon monoxide

JEFFERSON COUNTY, AL (WBRC) - By Sherea Harris

JEFFERSON COUNTY, AL (WBRC) - Authorities urge people to protect your family from an odorless, deadly gas. Hueytown Police say a carbon monoxide leak likely killed a father, mother, and their 17-year-old daughter.

The Ezell family was found dead in their home on Sunday night in the West Wind subdivision.
Police are still investigating what caused the leak.

Hoover Fire Department's Rusty Lowe says these leaks don't happen often in Hoover. When it does, it's tragic. Lowe says there are ways to help protect your family.

"Anything that uses combustion or natural gas in your house needs to be checked on a regular basis just to make sure there is no leak or problem," said Lowe.  "Have your chimney checked every year. Sometimes the chimney can become clogged and a lot of the carbon monoxide may leak back into the house from the combustion from the logs."

Lowe says make sure your home is well ventilated.

The most important thing to do is buy a carbon monoxide detector.

Copyright 2010 WBRC. All rights reserved.