BP talks oil spill claims at Southern Governor's Conference - WBRC FOX6 News - Birmingham, AL

BP talks oil spill claims at Southern Governor's Conference

HOOVER, AL (WBRC) - The incoming CEO of BP says blowout preventers removed from the deepwater horizon well will be removed Monday. The device then becomes legal evidence in the outgoing investigations of what caused the explosion that created the Gulf oil spill.

Robert Dudley appeared before the Southern Governor's Associaton Sunday at Hoover's Ross Bridge Resort. He repeated the promise that BP will remain invested in the communties of the Gulf Coast for years to come in an effort to restore the coast and people who suffered losses from the crisis. He warned a lawsuit filed by Alabama Attorney General Troy King against BP could create delays in addressing the state's claim for damages. Governor Bob Riley has been critical of the lawsuit filed by the Attorney General.

The man in charge of the 20 billion dollar claim fund for the people and businesses impacted by the Gulf oil crisis says his work will be judged by how quick he can do it. Ken Feinburg says already the greatest threat of delay comes from the lack of documentation and proof people are providing in their claims for the damages.

Right now through November 23rd, Feinburg says the Gulf Coast claims facility is focusing on emergency claims. He says 26 thousand claims were filed last week and 12 hundred are either in the process or have already been paid out.

Copyright 2010 WBRC. All rights reserved

Powered by Frankly