Simple Smothered Pork Chops
Serves 4 Prep 5 minutes Cook 15 minutes
- 4 center cut boneless pork chops
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Best Yet canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Best Yet all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can Best Yet chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- Preheat an ovenproof skillet over high heat. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil to the pan. Add the pork chops and sear on both sides until golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In same skillet over medium heat add the remaining tablespoon of canola oil, the onions and mushrooms and saute until slightly softened.
- Add the flour and cumin and cook until lightly golden in color.
- Stir in the chicken broth and mustard, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the parsley .Season with salt and pepper and spoon the gravy over the pork chops.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, or until pork chops are cooked through.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Wilted Spinach
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large red onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 bag baby spinach (between 10 ounces and 16 ounces), soaked, well-rinsed and dried
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, season potatoes with salt and pepper and toss with oil to coat. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove briefly from oven and toss in onions, and return to oven to roast until potatoes are tender, approximately another 20 minutes. Transfer roasted potato mixture to a bowl. Drizzle honey over potatoes, add butter, mixing well, and then gently toss in spinach. The heat from the potatoes will wilt the spinach.
Noon Cooking - August 23, 2010