Operation "Clean Slate" rounds up more than 100 sex offenders - WBRC FOX6 News - Birmingham, AL

Operation "Clean Slate" rounds up more than 100 sex offenders

By Melanie Posey

BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - A joint effort by federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, nicknamed "Operation Clean Slate," has resulted with the arrest of more than 100 convicted sex offenders who have failed to comply with the law. 

Phase one of the project began in February and ran for several weeks.  In total, 139 arrests were made, 109 of which were of sex offenders. 

"They will not be allowed to roam our neighborhoods at will," said Birmingham Police Chief A.C. Roper, Jr.  He made the comments during a news conference Thursday to announce the operation's success. 

Authorities say there are a total of 957 sex offenders in Jefferson County.  Phase one of "Operation Clean Slate" focused on finding 550 of them.  Authorities say about 78 percent were compliant or living where they said they were.  It's the remaining 22 percent officials want to find.

"Most of the sex offenders we're going after are actively not doing right," says James Nolan, a deputy marshal with the U.S. Marshals Service. 

"If you do not obey the law," said Jefferson County Sheriff Mike Hale, "I promise you, we will hunt you down and put you in jail." 
Authorities said phase two of Operation Clean Slate began this week.

Copyright 2010 WBRC.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly