BACON WRAPPED SCALLOPS
10 slices Bacon, Thick-sliced
10 each U-10 Scallops (Approx 1 lb)
10 each Bamboo Picks, 4-6 inches
1 cup Teriyaki Glaze (Recipe Follows)
1 tsp. Black and White Sesame Seeds
- 1. Pre-heat oven at 350 F.
- 2. In a sheet tray lined with parchment paper, lay out bacon slices, spaced evenly.
- 3. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Take out the bacon from its fat. Let it cool.
- 4. Wrap each scallop with bacon, skewer a bamboo pick to fasten the bacon around. Repeat until all scallops are wrapped in bacon.
- 1. In a pre-heated fryer (or stock pot with oil -350F), drop bacon-wrapped scallops and cook for 90 to 120 seconds.
- 2. Drain, place it in a mixing bowl and toss with Teriyaki Glaze.
- 3. Place it in a serving platter, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Yield: 5 cups
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
½ cup Onions, Yellow, diced ½"
½ cup Carrots, julienne
2 each Garlic Cloves
1 tsp. Whole Black Pepper
2 oz. wt. Dark Brown Sugar
1 ¼ tsp. Ground Ginger
2 oz. vol. Sherry Wine
8 oz. vol. Water
8 oz. vol. Soy Sauce (Kikoman)
6 oz. vol. Pineapple Juice
2 ¼ cup Sugar, granulated
¼ cup Corn Starch
1/8 cup Water
1. Pre-heat pot with oil then sauté onions, carrots, garlic cloves and sauté until brown.
2. Add whole black pepper, brown sugar and ginger and cook until melted.
3. Add sherry and reduce for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Add water, soy sauce and pineapple juice and bring to a boil.
5. Add sugar and bring to a boil.
6. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth.
7. While sauce is boiling, add cornstarch mixture, whisking until well combined.
8. Let it boil for 3-4 minutes and strain.
9. Transfer to a storage container and reserve until ready to use.