Sherron Goldstein's Gumbo from Fresh Fields Cooking
4 pieces chicken, skinless & boneless, breast
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup flour
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup celebry, chopped
1 cup green peppers, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups okra, sliced, optional
8 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon creole seasoning
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon worcestershire
2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 bay leaves
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 pound steamed shrimp, sliced in bite sized pieces
1 pint fresh select oysters, drained
3 cups cooked rice
salt & pepper to taste
1. Over medium heat, brown andouille sausage until browned. Remove from pan & set aside. Leave drippings in pan.
2. Cut chicken into bite size pieces, brown in pan with drippings. Remove from pan & set aside. Leave drippings.
3. To make a roux: measure drippings & add enough olive oil to make 1/2 cup. Heat the olive oil mixture in a large heavy skillet. Add the flour gradually, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until the mixture is a caramel color, again whisking constantly.
4. Stir in the onions, celery, green peppers & garlic. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add stock to onion mixture & stir. Add reserved chicken & andouille, okra, creole seasoning, thyme, worcestershire, pepper sauce, & bay leaves. Cook at a simmer for our house, stirring occasionally.
6. Add green onions, parsley, shrimp, & drained oysters, and cook an additional 30 minutes.
7. Discard the bay leaves. Arrange rice & middle of plate & ladle gumbo over top.
Good Day Cooking - January 26, 2009