Pan Sauteed Tilapia with Burnt Butter Tomato Gravy Over Creamy Southern Grits (For Under 10 Bucks!)
You usually go out and get a great meal like this. On those nights when staying home is more appealing, be a super-star and make this recipe for the crowd. You will have your kids and spouse thinking you have been secretly attending cooking school! The money you will save by doing it yourself will be secondary to how easy and good this recipe is. I promise!
Cathy Borden for Bruno's Supermarkets
Serves 4 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (3-ounce) tilapia fillets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice reserve lemon and peel
- 4 servings of grits prepared according to box instructions with milk instead of water.
- 1 can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion drained
- 1 bag dole cole slaw with olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing. ( add a squeeze of lemon juice and some black pepper)
- Hot sauce or crushed red pepper optional and encouraged!
Place flour in a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag and season with salt and pepper. Dredge fillets in flour mixture or add to bag, close, and shake to coat.
Place 1 tablespoon of the butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When it foams, lower heat to medium-low. Shake excess flour off 2 of the fillets, add to pan, and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Remove fillets to a plate and repeat with remaining fillets. Set fish aside on a plate and keep warm.