Bright Star Prime Rib served with Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes and Smoked Sausage Gravy
2 lb choice loin steak
2 tsp beef rub
2 cloves garlic
½ tsp vegetable oil
2 pounds red new potatoes, scrubbed well and quartered
1 tbsp sour cream
½ cup half and half at room temperature
1 bunch green onions, chopped
Coarse salt and ground pepper
½ lb smoked sausage
1 medium onion, diced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced and washed
1 can beef broth
½ cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large baking pan, rub loin steak with beef rub. Bake at 325 degrees for one and one half hours.
- Roll garlic gloves in vegetable oil and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Let garlic cool and chop into small pieces.
- Set a steamer basket in a large pot. Fill with enough water to come just below basket; bring to a boil. Add potatoes; reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until tender, 15 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a bowl and set aside.
- Remove steamer basket; discard water from pot. In same pot, add garlic, sour cream, half and half and green onions and cook 1-2 minutes. Add potatoes and mash coarsely. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; cover. Set aside.
- Over medium heat brown sausage in medium saucepan for 3 minutes. Add onions and mushroom and cook until soft. Add beef broth and heavy whipping cream. Cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally until reduced.
- Serve prime rib with mashed potatoes and gravy.
Weekend Cooking - November 21, 2009