BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - One Ensley church opened its doors Sunday morning to their neighbors in need.
On Christmas, a house fire not only destroyed a family’s home, but it also spread to Trinity A.M.E. Church next door, severely damaging it.
So on Sunday, Holy Family Catholic Church welcomed Trinity A.M.E. Zion Church to worship while their church undergoes repairs.
The fire started at the Griffin’s home next door to the church early on Christmas morning. The flames quickly spread. The damage impacted two churches, as Trinity and One Zion United share the Ensley location.
Reverend Brenda Perry said the fire is just a small setback, but one she and her church family will recover from.
“Anytime disasters happen, it brings you closer together. It’s a blessing that we will be even closer and that God is going to bless us to rebuild,” she said.
That sense of hope is what’s getting the church and the Griffin family through this hard time.
The Griffins told us the fire started after on of their propane heaters fell over and set one of the child’s bed on fire.
“We were so excited to go to sleep because we were ready to get up on Christmas. We were ready to get our Christmas gifts,” said Jakiriah Griffin, 12. “We didn’t think this was going to happen.”
But now, the community is rallying behind Jakiriah and her family. They’re still accepting cash donations.
“Every disaster is not the worst thing that can ever happen to you,” said Rev. Perry. “We’re looking for the greater things to come.”
If you’d like to donate to the Grififn family, download the Cashapp and donate to $OneZionUnited for: THE FAMILY.
The church said they’re grateful for the multiple churches offering support while Trinity A.M.E. Zion Church receives repairs.